Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Frugal Fun - Drip Paintings

Funnest. Project. Ever!!! 

So, I know that's not a word - but...that is the best way to describe these awesome drip paintings.  Funnest!!
For the first June project I made these fun little pots that I found at http://inlieuofpreschool.blogspot.com/2012/05/something-borrowed-rainbow-pour.html.  My mom had just given me 2 small terra cota pots that she was no longer using and I have more than plenty of paint in my stash.  So this craft cost ZILCH!! 

Should you need to buy any supplies, you can find the smaller pots for appx $0.99 and if you're lucky to have a store like The Flower Factory in your area, you can pick up the small bottles of acrylic craft paint for appx $0.89 each.  Still a super frugal craft!

My first mistake lesson learned was to not put items on newspaper that are going to become sticky!!  After dripping the paint on the pot, there was a huge messy puddle of paint on the newspaper - making my pot to stick to it.

 

 Let the fun begin!!  Using the paint I already had, I started pouring the paint on the top of the terra cota pot.  I definitely used WAY too much paint!!  There are several layers of color that no longer shows! 
With the multitude of layers of paint, these pots took an entire day to dry completely!  My many layers also resulted in some paint cracking - which gave the pots some character.



Our finished products!!  Last weekend, Madailein had picked out a bonsai tree she wanted for her bedroom and thought the first pot was just right.  She also thought the second pot was perfect for hair bows, lol!!  This frugal craft is one I will be trying again with various paint colors each time.  I imagine this would be awesome with different shades of the same color.  Hmmm...I think I just thought of my next weekend project! 


Have you tried this awesomly fun and easy craft?  Do you have any frugal craft ideas you would like to share?  I would love to see your ideas!!

Happy Crafting! 
The Shabby Nest

6 comments:

  1. Found you via Skip to My Lou link party. This is so colorful- I can see why you like it so much- it's great!

    Melanie
    Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts
    www.bearrabbitbear.com
    It's Christmas in July @ Bear Rabbit Bear Crafts! This week, enter to win a Crafter's Prize Pack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by Melanie! I was just checking out your site - so much fun!!

      Delete
  2. Love this! I don't know if you ever saw, but an artist somewhere I don't really remember did something like this but with a huge square and lots of paint. I wish I could find the video cause it was awesome! Well I just really love that I can make my own now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Christina! I don't think I've ever seen that artist, but you sparked my interest so now I'm on the hunt to find him!!

      Delete
  3. So cute! What a fun project to do with the kiddos. Thanks for linking up at Thrifty Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Anna and thanks for hosting Thrifty Thursday! I'm getting so many wonderful ideas!

      Delete